Monday, October 6, 2008

The final 2 days of the mission...

First of all, my apologies for the gap in posting. I did not have internet access for the last week I was in Kenya.

Last Monday and Tuesday were the final 2 days of the medical mission in Mukuru. At this point we were running as a fine-tuned machine in the eye clinic. Although we had lost 3 of our helpers as the water project finally got off the ground (more on that later), we were allotted new volunteers and things ran smoothly.

On Monday I saw an infant who had congenital cataracts in both eyes. This means that the baby is blind and the sooner the cataracts can be removed, the better sight can be restored. We did find out that there is a Lion's Firstsight Eye Hospital in Nairobi, so we made a referral to this hospital for the baby. Our understanding is that the child will receive the care she needs at no cost, so hopefully she will be cared for.

On Tuesday, the eye team was down 2 doctors. Both Dr. Bob McClenathan and myself were sorry we had eaten the cream sauce at the Italian restaurant the night before and spent the day in our hotel room. My understanding is that all went well without us.

I have not been given the final numbers at this point. Over our 8 days in Mukuru I would estimate that were saw (including simple vision screenings) around 2000 children and treated with medications or prescribed glasses for hundreds.

It was a great experience working with the children and their teachers and parents. They were all very thankful and gracious.